10 car noises you should never ignore
We’ve all been there – you’re cruising down the highway or making your way home on crowded city streets and you hear a weird noise. You turn down the radio to make sure it wasn’t just in the song you’re listening to, and you hear it again… cue the dread. Unknown noises can mean problems with your vehicle, and that’s why they’re so important to address immediately. Toyota of Orlando is here with 10 car noises you should NEVER ignore!
Never ignore these meaningful car noises
- Flapping – Flapping noises can indicate that something is loose or hanging underneath or on the car. It can also mean a malfunctioning fan or broken belt. If you can’t pinpoint where it’s coming from, bring your ride to Toyota of Orlando.
- Squealing when you brake – Your brakes have sensors built into them and when your brake pads get too thin, the sensors go off when you brake – that’s the squealing noise. Be sure to bring your car in for brake service if you hear this car noise before you damage your car’s rotors.
- Knocking sounds under the hood – This car noise may indicate a problem with the type of fuel you’re using, so let our Toyota service techs check it out for you before you fill up again. Also, be sure to use the fuel indicated in your owner’s manual!
- Any sound when you’re making a turn – If you hear anything when you’re making a turn, then you should bring your car to Toyota of Orlando to have it checked. Sounds when turning can indicate a problem with your steering system, which can be dangerous.
- Hissing under the hood – This car noise may mean that you’ve got a car leak somewhere under the hood; when the liquid hits something hot, it makes a sizzling or hissing sound. Let our techs inspect.
- Grinding when shifting gears – If you drive a manual transmission car and hear grinding when you shift, you’ve most likely got an issue with your clutch. It’s only going to get worse, so don’t delay having it checked.
- Rattling when you’re in motion – If you hear something rattling and you know it’s not anything inside the cabin or trunk, it could be that something in your exhaust system is loose and rattling. Have it checked!
- Clicking under the hood – This car noise can indicate low oil pressure, which can turn out to be a big mess if it’s not remedied! Bring your car in for service as soon as you can.
- A loud bang – Also known as a backfire, this sound can mean that you’ve got problems with your catalytic converter or exhaust system. Bring it into our Toyota service center for an inspection.
- High-pitched noise when accelerating – If you hear this when pushing the gas, you may have a problem with belts slipping or malfunctioning. It won’t fix itself so don’t ignore it!
Schedule Orlando auto service today!
Concerned about car noises? Don’t delay – schedule Orlando auto service today at our dealership! We’re open seven days a week at (407) 298-0001.