My car won’t start – what now?
You know that feeling when you get behind the wheel, turn the key, and all you hear is dead silence? Or maybe just the clicking of the ignition. Whatever you hear, it’s not the growl of your engine coming to life so you can hit the road. Your car won’t start, but what’s the issue behind its lack of life? And what do you do now?
Reasons your car won’t start
There are a lot of possible reasons your car won’t start, but our Orlando auto service techs have taken the time to compile some of the most common ones. Here are a few reasons you may need to call a tow truck and bring your car in for some TLC:
- Your battery is dead. If this is the case, you’ll hear a clicking noise or silence when you turn the key depending on how dead the car battery actually is. This could also be an issue with damage to your battery cables.
- Your spark plugs aren’t up to par. If your spark plugs need to be replaced your engine may turn over, but it doesn’t have enough get-up-and-go to actually get running.
- Your starter wires are loose or damaged. You’ll hear a clicking noise in this case.
- Your ignition switch has gone bad. If this is your issue you should be able to turn on your headlights (as your battery is still working) but you can’t get your car started.
- Your engine cylinders are faulty. If this is your problem, you’ll hear a knocking noise from under the hood when you turn the key.
- You’re out of gas. Check your fuel tank indicator on the dash!
As we said, those are just a few of the reasons you may not be able to get your car up and running. There could be something else going on so it’s in your best interest to bring it to Toyota of Orlando to have it checked out. Here are a few more tips on what you should do when your car won’t start:
- Check the battery – if you can’t turn on the headlights, your battery is most likely dead. Try tightening the battery cables and give it a shot again to see if that does the trick. You can get a jump from someone using jumper cables, but be sure to come straight to our Orlando car maintenance center. One jump won’t get you too far, especially if you have to turn your car off at any point.
- Call a tow truck. If it’s not your battery, you don’t really have any other temporary solutions to get you where you need to go. Have the tow truck bring your ride in so our techs can pinpoint the problem and get you back on the road.
Need to schedule auto service for your car? Call (407) 298-0001 today. And don’t forget to check out our Toyota service specials to save big!