10 car parts you should know
The phrase “your car is due for maintenance” is enough to strike fear into the hearts of some drivers. If you don’t have a trusted relationship with your mechanic, you likely start to worry about how much said maintenance will cost. Could a routine auto service appointment turn into major repairs once the mechanic pops the hood?
You can rest easy (and even easier if you service at Toyota of Orlando). At our car care center, we think it’s important for our customers to have a basic idea of what’s going on under the hood so they can make educated decisions about their car care. Today we’re giving you quick explanations of 10 commonly mentioned car parts. Check it out!
10 common car parts to know about
1. Camshaft: The camshaft’s job is to open and close the valves in your engine. This ensures that air and fuel make it into the engine and exhaust gases make it out. They don’t really need to be replaced regularly, but if you’re having issues with low oil, they could be damaged and need to be replaced.
2. Heater core: This key car part is used to heat the inside of your Orlando Toyota’s cabin (we know, not something we do often here in Central Florida). It’s similar to a car radiator and is located behind your car’s dashboard.
3. Power window switch: Most cars nowadays have power windows and this switch is responsible for ensuring they can go up and down. They can fail over time due to dust and debris or just heavy use in general.
4. Wiper motor: We’re always harping on you about how important it is to use your windshield wipers. This car part is responsible for ensuring you can. If it stops working, so do your wipers.
5. Axle or CV shaft: These take power from your differential to your front or rear wheels (depending on whether you have front-wheel drive or rear-wheel drive). They’re encased in rubber boots which wear down over time so your mechanic may say you need new boots for them before you actually have to replace the shafts themselves.
6. Mass airflow sensor: This part reads how much air is being pulled into the engine so it can figure out how much fuel is needed to be added into the mixture, which will then be ignited to start your car.
7. Shock absorbers: These important car parts help to absorb the shock when your car is traveling over rough road so you’re more comfortable inside the cabin. They do wear out and may need to be replaced over time.
8. Ignition coil: This car part sends voltage to your spark plugs to help them ignite, which in turn creates the combustion that gets your Orlando Toyota’s engine up and running. They do wear out over time and need to be replaced to ensure your car doesn’t misfire or refuse to start.
9. Muffler: The muffler quiets your car, essentially. It helps to dull the roar of your engine so it’s quieter both inside your car’s cabin AND to the people around you on the road.
10. A/C compressor: The compressor is responsible for ensuring your car A/C works, which is crucial here in Orlando. If your A/C isn’t running properly, be sure to have this car part checked.
Toyota of Orlando can help keep your car parts in working order
Have questions or need help fixing or replacing car parts? Call Toyota of Orlando! Our Toyota service center is open seven days a week at (407) 298-0001.