Understand why texting while driving is so hazardous
Here are a few texting while driving statistics to help you understand why you should put your phone down when you're behind the wheel of your Orlando Toyota:
- Texting while driving causes over 3,000 deaths and 330,000 injuries every year
- Texting behind the wheel is SIX TIMES more dangerous than driving while intoxicated
- Texting while driving is now the leading cause of accidents AND death for teenage drivers, replacing driving while intoxicated!
- Drivers who are texting are 23 times more likely to be involved in an accident
Plus, did you know that sending a text takes your eyes off of the road for an average of almost five seconds? and during those five seconds you'll travel the length of a football field?
What can you do to prevent it while in your Orlando Toyota?
So, what can YOU do as a driver to help stop the texting while driving epidemic? Our Orlando Toyota dealership has some tips to help you out!
- Put down your phone - it's that simple. A text can wait until you've reached your destination to both be read and sent. Inform your friends and family that if they have an emergency, a phone call is the best way to get ahold of you. You can easily take phone calls through the Bluetooth wireless streaming system in your Orlando Toyota without even taking your hands off the wheel!
- Silence your phone and put it out of sight when you hit the road. If you can't hear or see notifications, you're less likely to give in to texting while driving! You can also hand over your phone to a passenger and have them do the texting for you.
- Download an app like Textecution, TxtShield, Trinity-Noble's Guardian Angel, or multiple others to help reduce the temptation of texting while driving. These apps will shut down your texting capabilities while you're behind the wheel, preventing you from both opening and sending messages as long as you're in motion. Some apps even prevent internet browsing and calls other than emergency calls!
- Set a good example for the next generation of Orlando Toyota drivers! Teen drivers are typically most influenced by their parents when it comes to their driving habits, so ensure you set a good example AND discourage your teens from using their phones when they're behind the wheel!
Want more tips, or want to check out our huge selection of affordable Orlando Toyota with great Bluetooth connectivity and safety technology? Come on down to our dealership - you can set up an appointment at (888) 725-3520! See you soon!